We’ve all had those days. That one downright godawful, unbelievable stinker of a day where everything just seems to be going wrong.
Perhaps your significant other failed to realize what they had right in front of their eyes and made the obviously wrong decision to walk out the door; or perhaps you were told you no longer have a job to go back to in the most brutal way possible. Maybe it’s just simply that time of the month and all you really want to do is drown your sorrows in a pint of ice cream.
Whatever it is, we’ve all been there.
The Home Facial
Prep: Masking is more effective when your skin is freshly exfoliated, so its prepped and ready to better absorb active ingredients. Start your routine with the Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™. Thanks to a potent blend of 25% AHAs and 2% BHA, this 20-minute mask surely resurfaces the skin by sloughing off dead skin cells, leaving it feeling like a baby’s bum. Think of it as a way to shed off the remnants of your horrible day, literally, at a cellular level.
Purify: What better way to continue getting rid of the detritus of a day best left forgotten, than with a clay mask that’s super effective at sucking up pore-clogging gunk. The NIOD Flavanone Mud contains three types of clay that bind to and draw out impurities in your skin. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and boosts the skin’s immunity against pollutants and other environmental aggressors. Don’t be fooled by its small size – this seemingly pint-sized product packs a powerful punch. Be forewarned: You’ll feel a strong tingling sensation when the mask is applied and even for a few minutes post-rinse, as the actives get to work. The 50ml version will last 18-25 uses.
Renew: Repair and renewal are next up on the menu. It looks like mouldy orange juice pulp, but trust us when we say the Ilcsi Carotene Extra Treatment is a treat for those dehydrated and weary of skin and soul. Rich in carrot-derived carotene, this mask intensively hydrates, brightens, and diminishes the appearance of fine lines and large pores, giving you that covetable healthy glow. Exactly what you need on a day like this, we think!
Hydrate: Last but not least, finish your home facial with a hydrating sheet mask. Our pick? The Leaders Insolution Amino AC-Free Mask. The sheet mask is soaked in a nourishing blend of amino acids and snail secretion, which deeply soothes and protects the skin instantly. Just think of it as the icing on the cake.
No TLC routine is complete without snacks and a feel-good telly or movie marathon. Here are some of our favourites:
Allies’ Top Snack Picks
- Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough – the best part about baking cookies is eating the cookie dough. So why not do one better and have that with creamy vanilla ice cream jam-packed with chocolate.
- Fried anything – we like KFC Red Hot Chicken and pretty much anything of the chicken variety (preferably by the bucket load).
- Red wine, the balm for any ailment of the soul – we like 19 Crimes and Campo Viejo, both makers of wine that is sturdy, dependable and relatively affordable. Perfect for when you need a friend who will never leave you.
Allies’ Top Screen Picks
- RuPaul’s Drag Race – all the time, any time, for when you’re happy or sad. And that’s the tea.
- Real Housewives of Atlanta – distract yourself from your own drama by indulging in the car crashes of others.
- Saw – sometimes gory, bloody violence is the answer. We won’t judge if you accidentally-maybe-on-purpose replace Jigsaw’s unwitting victims with a few familiar faces. Catharsis, right?
- Planet Terror – if you’re looking for gore and violence, but you kinda want some campy shtick in there to remind yourself that even if your life is feeling pretty B-grade right now, there are still some things worth enjoying to be found.
For additional bliss, burn a candle – our favourite is Diptyque Baies Scented Candle. And chin up buttercup, everything will be a-ok.